Good time to you, dear readers. Today's article is devoted to the problem of the problems of infants and young mothers. Colic in a newborn, it seems, is a standard situation in the first months of life, but it is so torturing both the baby and the mother that it seems there will be no end to it.
Unfortunately, many childhood diseases cannot be avoided by anyone, due to some structural features of the body of a small person. What are colic in a newborn, symptoms, treatment methods - let's look for answers to these questions together.
What are colic, why do they appear
The first 2 weeks after the birth of the baby is one of the calmest periods in the life of a mother, the baby cries only from hunger, the rest of the time is sleeping calmly. But after 15-20 days, the nightmare begins - the baby constantly weeps, eats worse, sleeps poorly - he is worried about colic.
Colic is not a disease, they occur in absolutely healthy children, a little more often boys suffer from this trouble. The problem arises against the background of increased gas formation in the baby’s intestines - so the body begins to adapt to the process of swallowing and digesting food, the process does not always go smoothly.
The main causes of colic
- Incorrect attachment to the chest - if the baby swallows a lot of air during sucking, it will accumulate in the stomach, bursting it. If your child is the first-born, do not hesitate to ask for help from midwives in the hospital so that they tell you all the details of proper feeding.
- Insufficient amount of lactase - this enzyme is necessary for the normal digestion of lactose, which is found in all dairy products. It is difficult to deal with such a problem, most likely, the doctor will prescribe enzymes, or advise you to switch to artificial feeding - there are many good lactose-free mixtures. But a similar pathology occurs only in 1 baby out of 130 thousand newborns.
- Wrong mother’s diet - it’s not in vain that breast-feeding specialists insist on a diet in the first months after the birth of the baby, everything that you eat passes into the intestines of the baby with milk. The main provocateurs of increased gas formation in the baby are cabbage, legumes, fruits, milk, rye and bran bread.
- Frequent crying - when the baby sobs, he swallows a lot of air, which provokes the appearance of colic and hiccups.
- Overfeeding, staying in a horizontal position for a long time - from birth you need to control the amount of food consumed by the child, try to observe the daily regimen, do not forget about physical activity, according to age.
Since increased gas formation can bother the baby for several months, each mother needs to know not only the symptoms of colic in the newborn, but also the treatment methods.
Symptoms of colic in a newborn
Recognizing an attack of colic is simple, it proceeds approximately the same in all children.
How to understand that a newborn has colic - the main symptoms
- the baby becomes restless, especially during feeding, or a few minutes after it ends,
- the baby often cries, busts, knocks with legs, squeezes them to the stomach,
- the face turns red
- the abdomen is swollen, firm to the touch, the navel protrudes, there may be a slight deflection in the back,
- sleep quality is getting worse
- the child calm down a little only in his arms,
- the stool may turn green, sometimes constipation occurs.
To feed a child who suffers from colic is a difficult task - the baby constantly twists, throws a breast or spits out a nipple, quickly gets tired, while not eating up. The situation is aggravated by the state of the mother, who from nervousness and confusion begins to get nervous, and infants feel it very well.
As soon as the attack passes, the stomach becomes soft, the baby calms down, immediately falls asleep. How long does the colic last? Usually in newborns, the attack lasts 1.5-2 hours, begins about 25 minutes after the end of feeding.
How to help your baby - effective methods to combat colic
The child has colic, what should I do?
I'll start with the bad news: colic has not yet been invented for the treatment of drugs, since this physiological process takes place on its own.
But there is a good one - to ease the suffering of the baby under the strength of each mother, it is enough to exclude all factors provoking an attack.
How to save a baby from colic
- Correctly apply the baby to the chest - not only the nipple, but also the alveolus must be in the mouth.
- If the baby is breast-fed, the bottle should be kept at an angle of 45 degrees so that air collects at the bottom.
- 5-10 minutes before each feeding, spread the baby on the tummy.
- Carefully monitor your diet.
- Check the level of lactase in the child, for this you need to take tests.
- Immediately after feeding the baby, you can not put it, you need to hold it for about ten minutes horizontally.
- Try to immediately calm the baby so that he does not cry for a long time.
- If the attack happened at night, attach a film ironed with a hot iron to the baby’s tummy.
- Gymnastics. It is enough to bend the baby’s legs gently several times to the tummy so that excess gases come out of the intestine.
Massage against colic
You need to do it when the tummy becomes a little soft, otherwise you will only increase the manifestation of discomfort. Massage the baby about 40 minutes after feeding.
Wash your hands, rub them a little to make them warm, put the child on the back. With light circular movements, stroke the belly around the navel, the liver area cannot be affected, you need to move clockwise. Then you can slightly increase the pressure, continue the session for 2-3 minutes.
Perhaps these measures will not help to completely eliminate colic, but the attacks will become less pronounced, will not cause so much anxiety to you and the baby.
What if nothing helps
If colic greatly bothers the baby, does not allow him or you to sleep peacefully, you can resort to pharmacy or folk remedies, whose action is aimed at reducing gas in the intestines. If the problem is caused by poor protein breakdown, enzymes are prescribed.
- Simethicone, Espumisan, Bobotik - these drugs contain the substance Simethicone, which turns gas bubbles into a liquid, the pressure on the intestinal wall decreases,
- enzymes - Mezim, Lactazar, Creon,
- medicines based on herbal ingredients - Bebinos, Plantex.
Dill water helps with colic, you can buy it at a pharmacy, or cook it yourself.
Since I began to carry the child in a sling, he no longer cried from colic
And if I tell you that such a phenomenon as colic in newborns does not exist? It is a myth! An attempt to explain is difficult to explain. And this myth is actively and persistently supported by pharmaceutical companies that manufacture “healing” remedies for colic.
Such a bold opinion was expressed by the Italian pediatrician Costantino Panza (Costantino Panza), and he was supported by many colleagues. I read his article too late when I experienced colic in my children and came to understand: we are not being negotiated.
I did not believe in the existence of this mysterious disease that attacks most babies, if only because from the experience of many familiar mothers it became clear: cures for colic do not solve the problem. I wonder why? Is it because newborns cry not because of colic?
Why then do the children of the first months of life cry inconsolably?
The only way a newborn baby can convey any information to others is crying. Kroham does not know any other language. And they cry with their whole bodies: bending, clenching their fists, tightening their legs. Indeed, it is very likely that something hurts them. Especially like abdominal pain.
Why would a child have a tummy ache?
The most common opinion is gases. Too many gases. Forgive me, sometimes puffs too. But it never hurts. Unpleasant, causes discomfort, but not painful. Why then should it hurt in newborns?
Gastrointestinal tract not ready? For what? To mother's milk? Do you really think that such a perfect mechanism as the human body can react negatively to the only fuel that the manufacturer provided exclusively for it? Well, nature could not, with all its perfection, allow such a blunder!
If the so-called colic occurred exclusively in children eating the infant formula, one could still believe that the gastrointestinal tract was not ready for it. And since this scourge is found in both infants and artificial persons, the theory of the unpreparedness of the digestive tract is shattered.
Young mothers are often kicked for not eating properly during breastfeeding. Many pediatricians, in an attempt to cure colic in infants, are translating poor, already tired and emaciated mothers into a strict diet. They motivate this by the fact that the cabbage eaten by the mother creates an increased amount of gas in the intestines of the child! Well here is how? This is even illogical. How can gases be transferred from the intestines of the mother to breast milk? But no way. Milk is a derivative of maternal blood plasma. That is, what enters the mother’s blood in high concentration, enters the mother’s milk. And the gases do not enter the bloodstream.
Even the WHO says that during the period of breastfeeding, mothers should follow the most diverse diet in order to provide themselves with all the necessary vitamins and minerals.
It seems to me the most plausible version that the cause of colic in newborns becomes the immaturity of their nervous system. Then let's call a spade a spade! What colic! It’s just crying as the only tool for newborns to convey certain discomfort. Crying, which simply “unloads” the child from all the stress that he accumulated during the day. After all, everyone knows that the notorious colic appears in the evening. Why did it happen? Certainly not because the naughty mother ate a plate of borsch at dinner.
The kid after nine months of life in a quiet, dark and cozy mink, where he heard only muffled sounds from the outside and the even beating of his mother's heart, suddenly was suddenly ejected into a new world. And this world seems hostile to him. Bright light, sharp and loud sounds, unusual smells, the constant need to get food. And also mom. where is mom You can no longer hear how her heart beats and the blood rumbles through the vessels. Only sometimes, when you have to suckle your chest to get enough, does the mother pick up the baby again and he again hears the usual knock. And calms down.
When my first son was born, I felt like Yuri Gagarin on his first flight into space. I didn’t understand anything. And, of course, his “colic” was accepted as part of the “newborn” package.
The son was crying, we laid his belly down on his father’s hand (he did not fit his mother’s).
My son continued to cry, I tried to put it on my chest. He calmed down for a while, and then cried again.
Then we resorted to at least a gas vent. I think it’s not worth explaining how it works. The son let out gases (and how else, anyone would have done it if he had a tube inserted in that very place). We relaxed with a sense of accomplishment, our son also calmed down for a while. Sometimes.
The next step was swimming. We gathered a warm bath and immersed our screaming happiness there. And the son fell silent. Instantly. Why do you think so? Now I can say with confidence: he felt in the usual atmosphere. As once, when I was still in the womb, shrouded in a warm amniotic fluid.
And if we also turned on the hair dryer, which, according to experts, resembles in sound and intensity the noise that blood makes through the vessels of the mother, then the son fell asleep. Right in the bath.
We created a familiar environment for him and suddenly everything stopped hurting him? Or maybe nothing hurt? He was just tired, he wanted to again experience the feeling of security and calm that his mother gave him during pregnancy.
This idea was confirmed by the fact that as soon as we got our son out of the water, he again went into hysteria. Does it hurt again? I don’t think so.
The problem of colic was solved only in one way: we put the child to bed. They put on pajamas for their son, closed the curtains and laid them on a night’s sleep. Even if it was too early in our opinion. Son gratefully fell asleep. And we fell exhausted on the sofa.
When we noticed a pattern in the behavior of the child and determined that feeding (read - intimacy with mom), bathing (read - re-creating a familiar environment) and laying down to sleep (read - stopping external stimuli) always calmed him, we came up with our own remedy for colic.
What is it? Normal sling. Yes, I bought a sling and began to carry my son in it all the time. We generally abandoned the stroller. The kid was always on me. What did he get:
- proximity to mom (we cooked, cleaned, went for a walk and always in a sling for food),
- recreation of the familiar environment (tightly packed, the sound of my mother’s heart is constantly heard, her smell and warmth are near),
- termination of external stimuli (at any moment the son could hide from light and noise in a sling).
Since sling appeared in our lives, the son no longer cried in the evenings. Well, maybe sometimes, but it was not at all that rampant and inconsolable cry.
By the appearance of the youngest daughter, we were already fully armed: I began to use sling in the hospital. I think that you already guessed that my daughter did not suffer from colic at all. Coincidence? I don’t think so.
With a second child, the sling acquired additional value - both hands are free, you can practice with an older one, take his hand on the way to the park, for example.
I want to warn you: there will certainly be dissent. You will certainly meet a grandmother who will ask why you stuck, for example, a dog in the bosom. Somehow, in a store, after dropping my many purchases, an elderly lady chased after me. When she caught up with me, she asked with horror on her face: "Is he breathing?" She was referring to my daughter, sniffing peacefully in a sling while we bought food.
Get ready to sweat. Lot. Especially if the baby was born in the summer. I always wore interchangeable clothes with both children, both for them and for myself. Agree, a wet T-shirt on a young woman looks attractive only in films. On a nursing mother, hung with children, this is a so-so sight.
You will have to learn to bend down, squat, and eat without dropping food on yourself. It comes with experience and daily training.
Calm and smiling even in the evening, a newborn baby is worth it.
The recipe for proper dill water
Grind in a coffee grinder 1 tsp. fennel seeds, you can take dill seeds, but their therapeutic effect is somewhat weaker. Powder pour 200 ml of boiling water, simmer the mixture in a steam bath for a quarter of an hour. Strain, add warm water to the initial volume.
There is one more option. In a thermos pour 1 tsp. chopped fennel seeds, brew a glass of boiling water, leave for half an hour, the seeds can not be crushed, but then the brewing time should be increased to 1 hour.
Dill water can be given to a child from the second week of life - 5 ml before meals three times a day. If the drink turned out to be very cloying, you can dilute it with a small amount of milk, or add directly to the bottle with the mixture.
When should I go to the doctor?
If you are doing everything right, and the baby continues to suffer from colic, you need to visit a doctor, sometimes severe attacks can be caused by problems with the digestive system, which require surgical intervention.
According to Dr. Komarovsky, the symptoms of colic in a newborn are normal, the treatment consists of parental patience and care. A well-known pediatrician believes that no special therapy is required, all medications are just a ploy for parents who seek to eliminate the baby’s discomfort as quickly as possible. Colic is a physiological problem that disappears on its own when the time comes.
Today we figured out with you how the symptoms of colic appear in a newborn, how to help the baby. Tell us in the comments what you did in a similar situation, what funds the endowment brought to your child. Do not forget to share the article with your friends on social networks - the problem of colic is relevant for many mothers.
Causes of intestinal colic
- Disorders in the diet of a nursing mother. Colic in the baby occurs if the mother ate cabbage or other vegetables, abuse flour products and coffee.
- Violation of feeding technique.
After feeding, hold the baby upright. The baby will burp the excess air that is swallowed during sucking.
Unsuitable mixture. Children's intestines can not process some of the components of the mixture, so you need to change it.
The pacifier on the bottle also needs to be selected correctly. The company "AVENT" produces nipples with bottles that specifically remove excess air.
Additional information on what should be a normal stool in infants, in the article of a children's surgeon.
How to understand that a child has colic?
All the kids behave differently - they clench their fists, tightly close their eyes. But the main symptom is a strong cry, pulling the legs to the stomach.
The child begins to behave uneasily after eating. Tight stools or even constipation worry. Bloating. These signs will help to understand that these are intestinal colic in a newborn.
How to help a child with colic?
Gadgets and colic in newborns can be alleviated certain activities.
- Give the baby dill water.
- Spread the baby on the stomach more often. This will help shape the proper functioning of the intestines. This is best done 30 minutes before feeding.
- Colic in a baby can be alleviated by putting a warm towel or a heating pad with warm water on his stomach.
- Tummy massage for a newborn. With a warm hand, gently stroke clockwise, preferably before and after the next meal.
- Every mother should understand how to give breasts properly. After all, with incomplete closure of the baby's lips around the areola, the child swallows excess air, which leads to an accumulation of gases.
- Manifestations of colic in infants can be reduced by walking in the fresh air or motion sickness.
- Gas pipe. Lay the child on a barrel, pressing legs to a stomach. Be sure to lubricate the tip of the tube with baby cream and carefully insert into the anus.
With the accumulation of gases in the intestines, this method will not help, unless gases have accumulated at the base of the anus.
Able to alleviate symptoms of gas the following groups of drugs:
- reducing gas production (Espumisan baby, Bobotik, Sub Simplex),
- means that remove gases from the intestines (activated carbon, Smecta),
- restoring intestinal microflora (Linex, Bifiform).
Plantex - a magic remedy for colic
The basis of the medicine is fennel. Its action is similar to dill. The contents of the bag dissolve in 100 ml of water. You can give the baby from the first days of life.
When do babies get colic? Infant colic is not a disease. Their best doctors are time, patience and the above tips, thanks to which it will be easier for the child to transfer this condition.
Features of the digestive system of infants
The digestive organs of the child, like his whole body, after birth begin to get acquainted with new living conditions. The circulatory system and muscle tissues adapt to the new gravity, the vestibular apparatus and the perceptual system learn to find out what position the child is in, the respiratory system gets used to the very process of breathing, because before the light came into the air, the fetus did not enter the lungs. And the digestive tract begins to get acquainted with food.
Despite the fact that nature provides the most optimal of all possible diets for the baby - breast milk, and the stomach and intestines need to get used to it. Movement, contraction of internal organs, balance in the production of digestive enzymes, even breathing patterns, all affect the state of the digestion process and cause colic in infants. How does this happen?
Several manifestations of discomfort are called colic at once: spasms in the intestine, pain due to increased gas formation, difficulties with bowel movements. These normal, physiological phenomena occur in the body of every person, however, babies are especially sensitive to them. What are the causes of colic?
Why do colic occur in the tummy?
Symptoms and signs of colic in infants are diverse, but all of them indicate that something happens in the small tummy that the child does not like. Moreover, the average time of onset of colic coincides with the period when maternal hormones obtained during intrauterine development and childbirth cease to act in the body of children. They have a relaxing, relaxing effect, and their withdrawal from the body, as a rule, coincides with the beginning of “one hundred days of crying”. Moreover, it is often accompanied by skin rashes, the so-called “three-week rash”, acne of hormonal origin, similar to teenage skin problems.
Colic can occur as follows:
- baby worries for no reason
- the legs are often bent at the knees and pulled up to the stomach,
- cries out sharply and piercingly while feeding or cries in the evenings, although the rest of the time he is completely healthy and calm,
- there may be difficulties with the stool,
- increased flatulence and flatulence.
The nervous system of babies is imperfect: it still learns to recognize which impulses are important, and which signals from internal organs are not worth responding to. The movement of the food mass through the intestines can be perceived as discomfort, and cause discontent of the child. This is the first cause of crying from colic.
The second reason, which is often associated with the mother’s diet, is increased gas formation. Many studies have shown that the formation of gas in the intestines of a child is not at all a consequence of non-compliance with special diets by a nursing mother. Everything that enters the stomach to the mother undergoes the process of splitting into basic elements, and in this form it does not matter at all whether the mother ate the allowed drying and boiled beef, or enjoyed the cabbage, sushi and buns. An unbalanced diet may contain more or less proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals, but no more or less cabbage. That is why children who are breast-fed also have colic. Although there are no “forbidden" products in the mixture.
So, maternal nutrition does not affect the digestion of a healthy child. Why do colic occur?
The main reason for increased gas formation in babies is training in the breathing process. During eating, crying, overexcitation, the child swallows air. If further it enters the intestines, then the bursting of the walls causes the same discomfort, which is expressed in a sharp cry during feeding and in the evenings, when the baby is tired, and the amount of air accumulates.
When does maternal nutrition cause colic?
The diet of a nursing mother, as well as an improperly selected mixture, can cause intestinal colic in newborns and infants if the child has allergic reactions to the components of the food / mixture, or food intolerance.
In such a situation, as a rule, the symptoms are not limited to colic. The signs are accompanied by skin rashes, loose stools, or frequent constipation, frequent regurgitation with an increased volume of secreted mass, up to vomiting, swelling of the larynx and difficulty breathing may be noted.
What to do if colic in a newborn manifests in this way? Go to the doctor to determine the cause of allergies or food intolerances, and adjust the diet. Most often, cow's milk proteins, soy, wheat, chicken eggs and their processed products become allergens. The exclusion of allergens from the nutrition of the mother or child (when feeding with a mixture) helps to improve the well-being of the baby.
What to do with colic in a baby?
Receptions for helping the baby can be divided into two groups: preventive, which help to prevent the occurrence of flatulence, and "emergency", if colic has already begun.
Preventive measures include:
- Checking the capture of the nipple by the baby. Although nature provides for breastfeeding of babies, this process also needs to be learned for babies. Proper chest grip protects babies from swallowing air during nutrition. With artificial feeding, it is necessary to carefully choose the most suitable size and shape of the nipples per bottle,
- Carrying a child with a “column” or a “soldier” is a great way to help air masses swallowed in the process of eating or crying out, and not get into the intestines. Even if the baby does not have the habit of spitting up after eating, swearing for several minutes on the shoulder will not hurt, but rather, will help to avoid an evening session of woeful crying.
And before the onset of colic, and in the process, you can apply the following simple methods of helping children:
- the exercise "bicycle", familiar to all experienced parents, in which the child's legs alternately bend at the knees and press against the tummy. This helps the food mass move evenly through the intestines,
- tummy massage is a method that babies gratefully accept (as well as mothers in the postpartum period, as their digestive organs also need attention after changing the volume of the abdomen). With a gentle touch, slowly move clockwise around the umbilical fossa,
- warmth on the stomach, a warmed diaper, a warm soothing bath will help relieve spasms that occur due to overexcitation of the nervous system.
In some cases, the pediatrician may recommend carminative drugs (teas with fennel, dill infusions) or simethicones (Sub-Simplex, etc.). They reduce the amount of gas in the intestines and help to get rid of them more easily, but they do not remove the cause of increased gas formation - ingestion of air, which means they do not contribute to teaching the baby to eat and breathe properly. And the period of colic can drag on.
Causes of colic in infants
Why are babies worried about colic? After birth, the body adapts to a new environment. From the stomach and intestines, gas formation increases, sharp strong cramps begin.
Causes of intestinal colic are:
- improper grip of the chest. A newborn sucks, swallowing air with milk,
- with artificial feeding, mom should ensure that the bottle is placed at a 45 degree angle, so that air accumulates at the bottom,
- overfeeding. It is large portions of milk that cause profuse regurgitation and the formation of gas in the stomach. It’s better to feed the baby on demand a little, but often,
- mixture not suitable for the child
- Mom should not eat some foods. Why is there a certain diet that limits the menu of a lactating woman,
- Do not drink alcohol, drink coffee, smoke. Children whose mothers are fond of illegal foods and like to relax, taking a drag on a cigarette, suffer colic more often than others.
At what age do colic begin and pass
Intestinal colic in newborns occurs 2-4 weeks after birth. This is normal and you should not worry. Parents need to understand that this passes by 3-4 months, when the stomach grows stronger and develops. While the colic lasts, the baby needs to help fight the pain, calm down and get rid of the pain as much as possible. Mom with natural feeding should eat properly so as not to cause anxiety and suffering of the baby once again.
Symptoms of colic in newborns
- the child begins to get nervous, to be capricious, to worry. Squeezing the legs, crying sharply piercingly - these are the first signs that the pains are strong, lasting. Symptoms of colic appear later in the evening, sometimes at night after feeding. Even if the child was healthy all day, ate and slept,
- colic can be recognized if the baby often farts,
- symptoms of food intolerance may be indicated by mucous green feces or constipation.
What to do if a baby is suffering from colic
Bloating, cramping and colic that arose in a newborn can be alleviated at home without the help of specialists:
- For several minutes before the feeding process, the baby should be laid on its tummy on a hard flat surface.
- After eating, the child must be lifted vertically in his arms, stroked on the back, waiting until the air leaves and he burps.
- A light tummy massage will alleviate the condition and help calm the baby.
- Mom can hold the baby against her belly.
- Use a warm diaper or heating pad.
- Drink it with tea with fennel (drink such tea is allowed from the first month of life).
- Give the newborn dill water.
- If colic appears in a newborn artisan, mother should consult a doctor and transfer the baby to another mixture.
- Fight gases with a flue pipe.
Food Exclusion and Diet
A nursing mother should follow a diet, excluding from her menu products such as:
- spicy seasonings
- whole cow's milk
- onion garlic,
- raw bell pepper
- roasted seeds
- cocoa coffee
If intestinal colic is associated with the use of these products, then after their exclusion, pain and anxiety in the newborn will disappear in one to two days.
Before you start treatment with medicine, you need to visit a doctor and take only what he prescribed. You can’t listen to a neighbor who lit candles to her baby and they helped a lot. Each organism is individual and the doctor will prescribe exactly those drugs that are better suited to a particular small patient.
Doctors conditionally divide all pharmacy drugs from colic into prophylactic (homeopathy) and stopping.
Preventive drugs will not save you from pain and do not guarantee that there will be no problems with the tummy. They will ease the attacks of intestinal colic, reduce the formation of gases, make the pain less sharp and lasting. These include extracts and extracts of dill, anise, fennel.
Cupping, based on simethicone. This chemical substance removes the tone of the intestinal walls, breaks down the gases into small bubbles. Treatment is used when colic begins.
Common preventive drugs:
- Plantex sachets.Based on fennel. Granular. Easily soluble in a warm liquid. 100 ml is required per bag. water. 1-2 pieces are soldered to newborn babies, in 3 doses between applications.
- Dill water. Sold ready-made. Babies who have reached the age of two weeks are allowed to drink 3-6 spoons per day. Dill tea is available for sale. It is brewed as usual and insisted.
If mommy wants to make dill water for her baby at home, she can take a spoonful of dry fennel seeds, grind them, pour boiling water, insist and strain. A teaspoon of infusion is added to expressed breast milk and 15 drops are dropped into the baby's mouth. For home production take fennel essential oil. 0.05 g is enough per liter of water. The solution can stand in the refrigerator (not in the door) with a tightly closed lid for a month. Before taking it in a steam bath, warm to room temperature.
If parents have a bed of greens under the house, mom can make tea from fresh dill. Chopped greens are poured into 100 ml. boiling water and insist hour. It can be offered to the baby as a pharmacy dill water - more about dill.
- Baby Kalm. The drug from the Israeli manufacturer. A mixture of anise, dill, peppermint essential oil. It is diluted in water and 10 drops are dropped into the infant's mouth before feeding. Store the finished emulsion in the refrigerator on the far shelf.
Popular stopping drugs:
- Espumisan Contains simethicone. Allowed the treatment of children from the first days. A sweet emulsion of 25 drops is added to expressed milk, milk formulas or given to the baby with a syringe, pipette, measuring cup before and after feeding, as well as when colic attacks occur. The duration of administration of Espumisan is not limited. It does not cause side effects and is absolutely harmless.
- Suspension Sub Simplex. Based on simethicone. Breasts should be given 15 drops after feeding. If the baby is on artificial feeding, the drug is dripped into the mixture.
- Bobotonic. Drops with simethicone are given to newborn children who have reached four weeks of age, 8 drops after a meal. It does not penetrate the blood, does not affect the microflora of the stomach and is excreted by the intestines. Reduces bloating, relieves colic and relieves pain in the newborn.
All simethicone-based formulations include flavors. Kids often do not refuse to accept them and do not spit. But if the baby has an allergy, you should stop taking such medications.
Doctors sometimes prescribe probiotics containing bacteria. But the reason why colic and bloating appear is not dysbiosis, but immaturity of the digestive system.
Most doctors consider, that the microflora of the baby should be formed naturally without outside interference.
From the accumulated gases in the baby, you can get rid of the vent pipe. For the treatment of newborns, they buy the smallest in the range of 15-16 cm. Before using this method, parents need to consult a doctor. He himself for the first time will show how to use the device correctly, so that, due to inexperience, they do not injure the child.
After purchase, the flue is boiled. Wash your hands. On the table where the procedure will be carried out, they lay an oilcloth and a diaper. The tip of the tube is greased with fat (oil, cream, petroleum jelly). Up to six months, children are laid on their backs and legs are pressed to their stomach. Older kids, lay on their side and firmly press their legs. Rotational movements of the tube shallow enter into the anus. The other end of the tube is lowered into a vessel of water. It can be used to track whether gases are released or not.
Massage and gymnastics
An effective way, after which colic quickly passes in newborns. Before feeding, massage as a prophylaxis against possible colic is done for 5-7 minutes. The diaper is heated with an iron and spread for several minutes on the abdomen of the baby. Then, stroking movements are carried out from the ribs to the edge. Attentive to the zone of the right hypochondrium. They do not touch her, because the liver is located there.
It is important to stroke it clockwise. The anatomical position of the intestine and the corresponding movements of the mother’s hands will contribute to the removal of gases. After the procedure, they do gymnastics - the child’s legs are pressed to the stomach so that he swells.
Alternative methods of treatment
To cope with pain and relieve colic can be simple methods. An ordinary heating pad, a warm diaper that you can keep on the battery in winter. The heating pad is not placed on a naked body, but on a T-shirt or T-shirt. Mom can pick up the crumbs and press them to her belly. Heat relieves pain, relaxes muscles. Many people use not only a heating pad or a warm diaper, but also a warm bath.
Prevention of intestinal colic
Warning methods for colic are simple. Pediatricians advise parents:
- Do not overfeed the baby. Even 10 extra grams of milk in the stomach can cause bloating and gas formation.
- Do not overheat. In a newborn, thermoregulation is imperfect, and it is easy to overheat it. The room should not be stuffy and dry. Frequent ventilation, wet cleaning, refusal of heaters will help improve metabolism and quickly get rid of problems with the tummy.
- Proper attachment to the chest. Leaky grip on the nipple, greedy sucking causes swallowing of air.
- Well-matched nipple and bottle. In pharmacies, you can find anti-colic bottles that do not allow you to swallow excess air when feeding. It is important to choose the optimal shape of the nipple and its size. The hole should not be large, otherwise the baby will be choked with food.
- Suitable mixture. Milk mixtures are not suitable for some artisans because of the reaction to cow protein. A change in nutrition also causes colic and digestive disorders in newborns. The transition to another mixture should be gradual.
- Neonatologists advise from birth to lay the baby on the tummy. The muscles of the neck and back will be strengthened, and the muscles and cramps will decrease.
- Wear it belly on a bent elbow of dad or mom. Unnoticed and without inconvenience, a massage will be performed.
- Heat. The best warmer for a newborn are considered to be his mother's palms. They are tedious to keep crumbs in various positions on the tummy. Touching her mother’s hands for a baby will be the best medicine that eliminates many problems.
- Diet. A nursing mother should understand that her diet is the key to the peace of the baby. If she herself has dysbiosis, diarrhea or constipation, then this will completely occur in him.
- Physical activity and proper care. Swimming in the bathroom, lying on your stomach, wearing in a sling, music, games - all this helps to relieve colic and escape gazikov.
If colic does not go away in a newborn 4-month-old baby, a doctor's consultation is required.